Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


Dear Mom,

It's hard to believe that you aren't here to celebrate your 56th birthday today. How is that you have been gone since December 7, 2008? I know that where you are is so much better than here. You are finally pain free and happy. I know that life here was a struggle for you. You worked so hard to give Duane and I a good life as a single mother. Somewhere along the way you made some bad decisions and got mixed up with the wrong people. I am trying to learn from your mistakes so that I can make better choices.

So much has happened since your passing. The kids have grown and finished another school year. Both boy's got honor roll, Austin for the first time. You would be so proud of them. Savannah finished Pre-K and is ready for kindergarten. She is having her dance recital on Friday.

I have missed you so much. I think about you everyday and I'm always thinking about calling you. Well until I realize that you won't answer. I probably miss that the most. I could always call and you would actually listen to what I was saying. I usually just told you what you should do, but you always listen! There were also times when you weren't able to talk because you were high. That drove me crazy.

I asked some of the people who loved you the most to tell me about you and why they loved you. I love that they took the time to help me with this. Today will be the day that you are laid to rest in the Gulf of Mexico. We will be spreading you remains in Madeira Beach because you loved it so much.

I wanted to share all the wonderful stories with you and our loved one's, so here it goes!


***This is from my wonderful husband, Matt.
I loved your Mom's sense of humor and competitiveness.She was a true NASCAR fan and could back it up with stats. She was also so much fun to have around and be the life of the party. She also loved my children with ever fiber of her being. She was so proud of her daughter and was so got great joy from our family.

***This is from my cousin LeiAnne.
I can't tell you how much I've thought about your Mom lately... I'll be doing something with the kids or someone will say something and I'll think of something she did or did with us. We were sitting around Sun. and I started flippin' the channels and came across "Top Gun". Do you remember watching that with your Mom, Karla & Misty? Fun!!!!!!!!! I had to tell the kids how we would rewind the volleyball scene over and over (the kids only saw last 1/2 hr. of movie, so they only know what the volleyball scene is in theory ). It's things like that and tons more. Aunt GG was a huge part of my childhood! The fun part.
I thank God that He allowed me to spend more time with Grandma and your Mom towards the end. I know He knew what was going to happen and he allowed me that time to honor them. I know that was a very difficult time for Aunt GG and even though I had issues, The Lord gave me the grace to show her love and acceptance and to commend her for how well she was caring for Grandma while she was in the hospital. I know she felt like she had no one (I know she had you, of course)and despite all of her issues, she was losing her Mom and she was doing everything in her power to make her comfortable. I've told it over and over, but I'll never forget driving in the van with your Mom after Grandma died. We were on our way to the funeral home and she just started praying that everything would work out and all the sudden, I felt the Holy Spirit in that van! That is what gives me comfort today about where your Mom is. (I hope you can get some input from my Dad too because he had a vision of Grandma right after she died). Hopefully Duane can put some of his thought on paper and send them to you-I know that would be rich!

***This is from LeiAnne's husband, Mark.
Your mom really listened when you talked to her, no matter if it was about yourself or things that might of been for strength / correction for her. She was always caring and her love for you was real and not dependent on how or what you said to her. She loved, cared and hugged my kids like they where her own. She was truly a remarkable woman and she left a great impression on all those she met. And it was most obvious her compassion and love for people was shown in taking care of her mom. Many would probably say she did that because it was her mom. I would have to disagree, cause her genuine love for her friends and family lead me to believe she would have done the same for any of those she dearly loved. She was such a fun lady to be around. I know some times where kinda difficult, but she was a fun woman. Thanks for the way you loved me and my family Aunt GG.

***This is from LeiAnne & Mark's daughter, Aubrey.
Hey Amy, this is Aubrey.
I loved Aunt GG the most because of how sweet and tender she was. Whenever we saw her she always made sure we were perfectly comfortable. She served us all so well. Including Grandma. Her and Grandma always used to remind me about the "smile Katie" thing, even though I had long forgot about that. But it was still so funny because they would just laugh and laugh!
So Happy Birthday Aunt GG! We love and miss you =]

***This is from our cousin, Nancy.
My Cousin, Gena
When we were kids, our families did a lot of things together. I especially had fond memories of camping together at Bass Lake in Indiana. We would stay in tents on the sand near the water and spend the day mostly in the water. I remember having so much fun water-skiing with Gena. Gena and Duane would come to our house to spend the night sometimes, and we all had fun together playing outdoors and in our basement. Gena was somewhat of a tomboy when she was little, so we had lots of fun playing outdoors. She was eight years younger than me, so she would pretty much go along with whatever I suggested. I always knew that she looked up to me. When she was a baby, I loved to help take care of her because it was like having a real live doll to play with.
When they were teenagers, my brother and sisters spend more time with her because they were more her age. They always had fun together. (sometimes too much fun!)
When Auntie Gen died, Gena gave the most amazing eulogy about her mother. I was so impressed.
Gena made a lot of bad choices in her life, but I always knew that she was a good person and that she loved her children and grandchildren more than anything.
Nancy

***This is from my Mother-in-law, Donna.
Dear Amy,
I didn't know your Mother well. But when ever i was with her i was amazed at all the things we agreed on and all we seemed to have in common. Also i was very impressed how well she looked and how attractive she was. She had a very warm personality.I always looked forward to visiting with her. She could make you feel very comfortable when she was around..I know her life wasn't easy but you would never know it when you were around her. Her face was lovely . And her hair was beautiful . She was very special.person I am sorry i didn;t get to know her better.
Love, Donna,( Mom )

***This is from an old friend, Chad.
your mother was the coolest mother anyone could ask for, she was a great provider you and duane didnt do with out. she always showed me love, hell i felt like i was her adopted son.

***This is from another old friend, Dan.
Amy,
I loved your mom and your grandma like they were my own and I love you as a brother would love a sister. You, your mom, and your grandma were/are very special women in my life. I regret that I lost touch when I moved away from Anderson. They shared everything they had with me and treated me like a son. I have nothing but fond-loving memories of the both of them. Love, Dan.
Please feel free to leave comments about Gena. I would love to hear from everyone!!

No comments: