Saturday, September 1, 2007

September is.....


Today marks the first day of September 2007. I'm sure thoughts of Labor Day, school starting and the cooler days of fall come to mind. We celebrate Austin's birthday on the 26th and my grandpa died in September 10 years ago. But when I think of September now I think about it being National Childhood cancer Awareness Month. Most are unaware of this unless they are involved in the cancer world. Knowledge is power so please tell someone!!

I know that most people don't like to think about a child having cancer because it's sad. I watched my late father in law battle lung cancer for almost a year. He was diagnosed the day my daughter was born. I remember being at the hospital in labor when dad popped his head in the room and asked to speak to Matt. We know that he was going to the doctor because he had been sick. Dad didn't want me to know that he had cancer that day but I knew something was terrible wrong when I saw Matt's eyes when he came back in the room.

It was a rough year so far for dad because he had just buried his sister in January, and now he was sick. He made up his mind that he would do anything to be able to spend more time with his family. The tumor was inoperable at that point so he endured chemo and radiation to shrink it. Watching him suffer was more than we could handle sometimes. Carl was such a man's man's and he was never sick. In the end it was the treatment that killed him. As hard as it was to watch dad battle cancer, how much harder to watch a child battle. Dad was always very supportive of Katia and prayed for her all the time. After he died I saw that her website was on his favorites, he really cared about her. I know that dad would be very proud of me for what I'm doing with my life.

I know that when awareness is raised that we will see that cancer is cured. We need to make this a priority and put pressure on drug companies to fund trials and give our children most treatment options. No parent should ever have to be told that their child has no more options. Sadly this happens every day.

So please do something to help!! Here are some ideas.

*Tell someone!!

*Donate Blood or blood products.

*Join the NMDP (National Marrow Donor Program)

*Donate your newborns cord-blood

*Support families that are struggling (emotional & financial)

*Support research

*Pray!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am feverishly praying for a cure for cancer! After loosing my Mom, Dad and now my sweet little niece Nikki is fighting it...by gosh let's please all get together and find the cure!!! You're doing a WONDERFUL job about getting the word out...your Father in law would be so proud of you!!!
Love ~ Kim Dubin