Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lessons learned.

Things I learned this weekend at the fundraiser/yard sale.
(in no particular order)

*My husband is amazing!
*My family and friends care about things I believe in.
*My sister-in-law has a heart of gold.
*She can also work her tail off selling and cleaning up.
*When asked most people are more than happy to make a donation.
*Some people are just mean!
*It's bond to rain at least once if you live in Florida.
*Every little bit helps.
*Never give up.
*I got meet some neighbors and most were great.
*My next door neighbor Brenda loves yard sales!! (she brought over tables, plastic to cover everything, and help set up Friday for hours)
*Next fundraiser will not be a yard sale!!

Last night I was home alone and I was feeling a little disappointed with the money raised. I was wondering if we sold all the good stuff at too low of prices. I was kicking myself for not asking for donations the first day. I was pretty much second guessing everything. I really wanted to be able to hand the Solomon's & the Hawkins' families a thousand dollars each, but I didn't even get close.
Then I started thinking about all the people that donated items for the sale and others giving their time and energy. My family has always been supportive of the kids I follow but they had never actually met any of them. When Nikki showed up yesterday that all changed. They all feel in love with Nikki, and I think they really get it now.
I stopped feeling sorry for myself and started being thankful for all that was accomplished. Many people learned that kids do get cancer and they need our help. I met Dylan Crane's family and now were working together on a change drive at Luke's school. We passed out many books and cd's from the Solomon's. Last night Matt went to play a friendly game of poker with family. They donated $30 to the fundraiser and two ladies just showed at my front door with $20 to donate. When it started raining yesterday we put a free sign on a old dresser and she asked if she could pick it up today. Matt helped her move and cover it. She just picked it up and wanted to donate. I also got a call from Luke's teacher and she has a cash donation also!! How awesome is that!!
The best thing I learned was that I am doing what I was made for; this is my purpose in life!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy - I have wanted to say so many things to you (they sound good in my head) but we will see how they do on paper. You have done more for me and my family than many of my "close" friends. So please DON'T beat yourself up over the AMOUNT raised. YOU went out of your way and YOUR family took time out of their weekend for us! Amy - that says a whole lot more than thousands of dollars can say. I love your energy - I love your drive - I think your family rocks - keep up the good work. Penny
P.S. leopard geico is still living...... (yeah me... said in a very sarcastic voice! HEHE)

Anonymous said...

Very cool - I love you and marvel at your strength and purpose.

Matt