Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy 12th Austin

My baby turns 12 tomorrow!! Where has all the time gone? I am so very proud of the young man that Austin is today. We have been through so much together. When I found out that I was expecting I was pretty much on my own. His father had so many issues to deal with and wasn't in any shape to be a parent. I was alone and scared. The only thing that I knew was that I wanted this baby...this miracle. I was disappointed that I would be raising my son alone because I knew what it was like to not have a dad.

I called my grandma in Indiana and told her that I was going to be a mommy. She was happy for me and very supportive. Grandma wanted me to come home so she could help. I quit my job, rented a Ryder truck and moved back home to grandma and grandpa's. Grandma would not let me get a job. I spent the summer of 1996 with family and friends. I was able to babysit for my cousin LeiAnne's 2 1/2 year old daughter Aubrey. I will always be grateful for the time I got to spend with Aubrey. She is a very special girl.

Grandma and LeiAnne were with me when Austin was born. Grandma was the first person to hold my first born. I'll never forget how happy she was. Austin told her a week before she died that he was glad that she was the first one to hold him. I hate to think about what would have happened if I didn't have grandma. She was always there.....always. I miss her so much.

After I had Austin, grandma knew that I wanted to come back to Florida. She bought me a round-trip ticket to Florida to see if that was what I really wanted to do. When I was ready to come back to Florida; she bought me a used car and sent me on my way.

As I celebrate Austin's 12th birthday I will remember everything that my grandma did for us. I will celebrate both of them. Austin was the greatest thing to ever happen to me. He changed everything about me. He made life so sweet. He makes me want to be better. I love him so much. Happy Birthday Austin!!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Amy-
Your Grandma loved you very much-what a special person she was and I can really see why after reading your story. She helped you and Austin when you needed it the most.
(12 years does go by so fast!)
Have a good day celebrating with your special guy.
Tracy