Saturday, September 19, 2009

My back update!

I went to see my Neurosurgeon yesterday and we have decided to go ahead with surgery. He said that my disc herniation was still very large and would need surgery to relieve the pain. The surgery will a mircodiskectomy on October 14th. He will go in the same place that I had my prior surgery, so no new scar! He said he should be able to avoid those nasty staples and use a type of skin glue instead.
I have so many different feelings about this surgery. On one hand I can't wait to have it done and over with, and on the other, I'm scared to death. When I woke up from my first back surgery in 2-05, I was introduced to the worst pain I had ever felt. I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck and lived. Then of course there are the things that can go wrong with the surgery. I am willing to go through all of that stuff to feel better and get my life back. I am way to young to be living with pain all the time so I will do the surgery.
All this started with a ride at Universal Studio's, Jimmy Neutron! It's not even a real ride, but it sure does move around a lot. So no more roller coasters or crazy rides. I love roller coasters and I miss them. This injury happened the last weekend of April, so I've dealt with this pain for 5 months. I've been to 4 different doctors, had 3 extremely painful epidurals, 2 MRI's and I'm over it all.
I do finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, I see an end in sight. What stands in the way is another month of waiting and another couple moths of pain. I'm sure that everyone is sick of hearing me complain so I'll stop now! Please pray that everything will run smooth.

1 comment:

Marcey said...

My heart is with you!